I decided yesterday, against my better judgment, what next month will be. It's going to be difficult, possibly tortuous. One of the worst things I would voluntarily do to myself. You might not think it's that bad, but it is to me.
Anyone who has ever slept in the same house as me or worked with me will tell you how much of a Not-Morning Person I am. I'm an anti-morning person. Even after spending a year and a half at AB, where I had to be on-site no later than 7:00 AM every day, I hated it. Like, a burning, stormy, furious kind of hate. I want you to fully understand what this means to me.
I gained some weight during Recipe Month, despite my original intentions to find healthy recipes. When I'm faced with the choice between some boiled broccoli and chicken dish and an Egyptian pastry pudding thing, my self-control crumbles. I wanted to do some kind of month that would help me lose weight.
But Lose Weight Month isn't specific enough, nor is it new to me. The point of the Year of Months is to challenge myself, broaden my horizons. So I had to do something I normally wouldn't do. This idea flashed across my brain and, though it terrifies me, my inner drill sergeant is yelling at me to not take the easy way out. And now I have to tell you (can you tell I'm stalling?) so that you won't let me chicken out. Ok, here goes. *deep breath* July 2010 will be:
Work Out Before Work Month!
I know many of you are probably thinking this isn't a big deal, but it's huge for me. Think of one thing that you really hate doing (mine is waking up early). Like cleaning the toilet with a toothbrush or cutting your mother-in-laws toenails. Think of something else that you don't really like doing (mine is working out). Maybe it's mowing the lawn or doing the dishes? Combine them and picture doing it every workday for the next month. Now you know how I feel.
I know this isn't one of the original YOM ideas, but I think it's better than some of them and definitely more challenging. The good (or maybe bad, depending?) news is I will have more leeway to do actual blog posts instead of just posting recipes. I feel bad if I post more than once a day (as I'm doing right now - sorry!).
Now, as always, the rules:
- I will work out every weekday before work for at least 30 minutes.
- If I'm working two shifts that day, I'm exempt. I'll take a walk at lunch or something to make up for it. I need my sleep on those days.
- There is no way in Tartarus that I am waking up early on a weekend to work out - not even for the YOM - so weekends are exempt.
- I'm putting no restrictions on the type or intensity of the workout. I plan to start with vigorous walks with my dog and increase the intensity as time goes on.
- This isn't mandatory, but I will make an attempt to eat more healthily. Less desserts. More vegetables, fruits and whole grains. I will try.