Sarah's Scribbles

The Year of Months

Weekend Recipes

I didn't really have time to post this weekend's recipes, so you're going to get them in one big clump here. BTW, my cell phone's camera has a lot of trouble focusing and I'm too lazy to drag out my real one (I have to actually plug a cord into the computer to get pictures off of it! Too difficult...), so I'm sorry if the pictures are blurry. They look fine on my cell phone screen. :-)

Kayelee bought some broccoli last week with no real plan for it and challenged me to use it. I found this recipe for Sweet & Sour Chicken with Brown Rice and decided to try it.

Verdict: It was ok. Kinda blah. We didn't save the leftovers. If you're trying to loose weight, you may want to try this one: Not only is it low in calories, you won't want to over-indulge.

2 cups instant brown rice
1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons apricot preserves
2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
1 pound chicken tenders, cut into bite-size pieces
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons finely grated or minced ginger
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
6 cups bite-size pieces of vegetables, such as snow peas, broccoli and bell peppers
1 5-ounce can sliced water chestnuts, drained

1. Prepare rice according to the package directions.

2. Meanwhile, whisk vinegar, soy sauce, cornstarch and apricot preserves in a small bowl. Set aside.

3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, undisturbed, for 2 minutes. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink on the outside and just starting to brown in spots, about 2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate.

4. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, garlic and ginger to the pan and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 20 to 30 seconds. Add broth and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add vegetables, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the vegetables are tender-crisp, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in water chestnuts and the chicken. Whisk the reserved sauce and add to the pan. Simmer, stirring constantly, until the sauce is thickened and the chicken is heated through, about 1 minute. Serve with the rice.

--

On Saturday morning, I made a sausage breakfast pizza. I don't eat mushrooms. Ever. So obviously, I left them out of this one. Also, I forgot to save tomatoes for this so I only had about 1/2 a cup. I also used an 8x11 dish so it was thicker than intended. If I were to do it again, I would make sure I used the bigger pan. It's harder for the eggs to cook without burning the rest of it when it's so thick. It was still good.

Kayelee said, "It needs gravy." I would say it doesn't need gravy, but it would definitely be good with it.

1 (13.8 ounce) package refrigerated pizza crust dough
1 pound Bob Evans® Original Recipe Sausage Roll
8 ounces pre-sliced mushrooms
1 cup diced tomato
2 cups shredded pizza blend cheese
4 eggs

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Unroll dough and press into a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish, covering bottom of pan and 2 inches up sides of dish. Crumble and cook sausage and mushrooms in medium skillet until browned. Drain well on paper towels.

Spread sausage, mushrooms and tomatoes over crust. Top with shredded cheese. In small bowl, whisk eggs until well combined. Pour over pizza. Bake 13 to 15 minutes or until eggs are set and crust is brown.

 
--
 
I still had broccoli to get rid of, so I made Corn & Broccoli Calzones on Sunday. After the first bite I said, "I don't like it." But I kept eating and I realized it was pretty good. I missed the part of the instructions where it said to use your favorite marinara for dipping - because I thought, "This would be better with some sauce."
 
Still good though. And portable.
 
I couldn't find regular pizza dough so I used the canned Pilsbury kind - 2 cans. Here's a little tip: It doesn't like being reshaped so this is what I came up with: Take the roll of dough out of the can and cut into four pieces, kinda like sushi. Unroll one piece and cut the length in half. Place the two halves side by side and press together to make a rectangular shape. This way it looks more like a homemade Hot Pocket than a calzone, but it works.
 
This recipe makes a lot (at least it's a lot for two people) so you may want to halve it unless you have a whole family to cook for. I ended up making 8 calzones because of the dough difference. Also, I forgot to buy scallions so I just sprinkled some dried chives from my spice rack into the mixture. And if you're thinking about using dried basil instead of fresh, I ask you to reconsider. Have you smelled fresh basil lately? It's divine.
 
1 1/2 cups chopped broccoli florets
1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels, (about 3 ears; see Tip)
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
2/3 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
All-purpose flour, for dusting
20 ounces prepared whole-wheat pizza dough, (see Tip), thawed if frozen
2 teaspoons canola oil

1. Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 475 degrees F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.

2. Combine broccoli, corn, mozzarella, ricotta, scallions, basil, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl.

3. On a lightly floured surface, divide dough into 6 pieces. Roll each piece into an 8-inch circle. Place a generous 3/4 cup filling on one half of each circle, leaving a 1-inch border of dough. Brush the border with water and fold the top half over the filling. Fold the edges over and crimp with a fork to seal. Make several small slits in the top to vent steam; brush each calzone with oil. Transfer the calzones to the prepared baking sheets.

4. Bake the calzones, switching the pans halfway through, until browned on top, about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving. Healthy Heart Variation: To reduce saturated fat even further, use nonfat ricotta in place of the reduced-fat ricotta. 334 calories, 2 g saturated fat.

1 comments:

UPDATE: The Calzones are REALLY good re-heated. Better than the first time I think.