Sarah's Scribbles

The Year of Months

Two Recipe Month Successes in a Row!

Yesterday Kayelee and I wanted to make burgers on the grill, so I just made a light appetizer for the 2nd. These were cute, good and oh-so-easy to make. I recommend them if you're having company over and are looking for a quick, easy appetizer.

BTW: If you've ever decorated a cake before, yours are probably going to be prettier than mine.

Here's the recipe for Basil-garlic Tomatoes from recipe.com:

2 tablespoons light dairy sour cream
2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil
1 tablespoon light cream cheese
1 clove garlic, minced
16 cherry tomatoes (about 8 ounces total), halved
Cracked black pepper (optional)

1. In a small bowl, combine sour cream, basil, cream cheese, and garlic. Stir until well mixed.

2. Place sour cream mixture in a resealable plastic bag. Cut a small hole in one corner of the bag; seal bag. Pipe a small amount of the sour cream mixture onto the cut side of each tomato half. If desired, sprinkle with cracked black pepper. Makes 4 (8 tomato halves) servings.

Despite the weather refusing to cooperate, Kayelee and I decided we could grill by the pool every day and be happy :-) The burgers were good and, of course, the appetizers were too.
 
--
 
Since my new coworkers have been so supportive of recipe month, I wanted to make them something. I'm going to be pretty busy tonight so I decided I would make them a Thursday breakfast. I *almost* went for something that I knew was going to turn out well, something safer - but I'm glad I didn't. The Blueberry Surprise French Toast Casserole recipe is also from recipe.com. Two words: NOM NOM
 
It was easy to put together the night before, then when I woke up I put it in the oven. My coworkers seem to like it. One of them, Marjorie, mentioned that it would be cool to add powdered sugar on top and I agree. (wish I would have thought of it!) :-) BTW, I used a french loaf (I don't think I used the full 8 cups though - which might be better) from the farmer's market and maple syrup.
 
12 slices dry white bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 8 cups)
2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
12 eggs
2 cups milk
1/2 cup maple syrup or maple-flavored syrup
Blueberry-flavored, maple, or maple-flavored syrup

1. Place half of the bread cubes over the bottom of a well-buttered 13x9x2-inch baking dish (3-quart rectangular). Sprinkle cream cheese and blueberries over bread cubes. Arrange remaining bread cubes over blueberries.

2. In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs with a rotary beater; beat in milk and the 1/2 cup syrup. Carefully pour egg mixture over the bread mixture. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 2 to 24 hours.

3. Bake, covered, in a 375 degree F oven for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake about 25 minutes more or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean, and topping is puffed and golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm with blueberry-flavored or maple syrup. Makes 8 servings.

0 comments: