Sarah's Scribbles

The Year of Months

Two Days of Quick Recipes

The first half of this week is very busy for me (even without the 4 AM Fire Alarm I had the pleasure of enjoying last night), so these recipes are going to be quick and easy!

Yesterday, I had about 35 minutes at home before having to leave again (thanks to my lovely sister walking my pup for me), so I made Quick Black Beans & Rice from Pillsbury's Fast and Healthy Cookbook that my coworker Jen shared with me.

And it was quick. I had just enough time to chop the jalapeno (the only real work invovled in this recipe), throw it in the pot, get ready while it was cooking, and scarf down a quick bowl before running out the door. It was also pretty tasty too. I'm beginning to realize I don't much care for the texture of instant rice, but you can't beat the convenience of it on a busy night.

Also, I couldn't find "mexican-style" stewed tomatoes so I just got regular stewed tomatoes and threw in some onion powder, garlic powder and cumin.


Prep: 10 minutes
Total: 20 mins
5 servings (1 c each)

¾ c water
1 14.5 oz can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 15.5 oz can black beans, drained
1 c uncooked instant brown rice
1 c frozen whole kernel corn
1 medium jalapeno chile, seeded, finely chopped. (1 tbs)

1) in 8-in skillet, mix all ingredients. Heat to boiling.

2) Reduce heat; cover and simmer 12-14 minutes or until almost all liquid is absorbed.

240 calories, 1.5g fat, 46g carbs

--

Today, I have even less free time so I opted for a morning smoothie. I generally don't like homemade smoothies because I hate the berry skins/seeds that always end up in them. However, this one had no berries or anything like that. In fact, it's more like a milkshake with some protein.

However, it wasn't enough to keep me satiated for any amount of time - actually, it wasn't enough to satiate me in the first place. BUT, it was YUMMY. If you like peanut butter, you'll love this. So here's the recipe for the Peanut Butter Smoothie from recipe.com. Sorry there's no picture - like I said, no time.

1 cup vanilla or chocolate ice cream
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons peanut butter

1. In a blender container, blend together ice cream, milk, and peanut butter. Makes 1 or 2 servings.
 
 
Oh and I call BS on the "2 servings." It's more like 1/2 a serving.
 
 
Up for tomorrow: Crunchy Trail Mix Bars (another busy day!!)

0 comments: