Sarah's Scribbles

The Year of Months

Pie of Destruction

Yesterday I decided to make a pie. I have no idea where the recipe came from (perhaps a mischievous fairy slipped it in?) but it's called Tricia's Fantastic Fudge Pie.

Well, Tricia, I'm sorry that I ruined your fantastic pie. I should also apologize to my sister, my dogs and my lungs. Because when I destroy a pie, I don't mess around. To be honest, I'm surprised I made it through most of recipe month without this kind of thing happening several times. I really shouldn't even be allowed alone with a stove/oven.

Here's what happened: I made the pie as instructed. At the allotted time, I removed it from the oven. I then noticed it still looked kinda liquid-y and decided to return it to the oven. Half way down, the store-bought pie plate (which is really closer to a wet paper towel than metal in terms of structural properties) folded in on itself. Some of the HOT pie filling splashed on me, so I dropped the pie into the oven.


It doesn't look as bad in the picture as it did in real life. That's probably because you can't really see the half of the pie sizzling on the coil. And also because you probably didn't know that the top is supposed to be chocolate, not broken pie shell.

So what did I do then? (after taking the picture, of course. I'm always thinking of my blog readers) I turned the oven off, picked up what remained in the pie plate and scooped some into a bowl - and started calling it "warm pudding" instead of "pie." It was kinda liquid-y, but I don't know if that was because it was scrambled, was supposed to be that way, or just needed to cook more. It tasted good, though - very rich.

Once the oven cooled off (and K came home and discovered my disaster) I cleaned up what I could. HOWEVER, there was a lot of charred hard stuff sticking to the coils so I decided to "self clean" the oven. Our BRAND NEW oven.

Even with doors open and fans running the whole time, I think I have chemical burns on my throat.

Oh, and in case you want to try to make this warm puddi... I mean pie, here's the recipe:

1 9 inch pie shell
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees F

2) In a medium bowl combine eggs, melted butter, and sugar. Stir in vanilla. Set aside.

3) In a separate bowl, mix together flour and cocoa powder. Pour egg mixture into flour mixture and stir until thoroughly combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Pour into shell

4) Bake in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes. Serve hot.

5) Don't drop it.

2 comments:

You're not alone. I've totally done that before. Except the pie filling caught fire. Now THAT was exciting!

 

Oh, my. I don't think I've ever lit anything on fire before. At least not while cooking :-)