Sarah's Scribbles

The Year of Months

The Most Difficult Month

July is going to be a very busy month for me (two conferences and a weekend of visitors), so I started thinking about next month's Year of Months theme a little early... as in, before 11:55pm the last day of the month.

I decided yesterday, against my better judgment, what next month will be. It's going to be difficult, possibly tortuous. One of the worst things I would voluntarily do to myself. You might not think it's that bad, but it is to me.

Anyone who has ever slept in the same house as me or worked with me will tell you how much of a Not-Morning Person I am. I'm an anti-morning person. Even after spending a year and a half at AB, where I had to be on-site no later than 7:00 AM every day, I hated it. Like, a burning, stormy, furious kind of hate. I want you to fully understand what this means to me.

I gained some weight during Recipe Month, despite my original intentions to find healthy recipes. When I'm faced with the choice between some boiled broccoli and chicken dish and an Egyptian pastry pudding thing, my self-control crumbles. I wanted to do some kind of month that would help me lose weight.

But Lose Weight Month isn't specific enough, nor is it new to me. The point of the Year of Months is to challenge myself, broaden my horizons. So I had to do something I normally wouldn't do. This idea flashed across my brain and, though it terrifies me, my inner drill sergeant is yelling at me to not take the easy way out. And now I have to tell you (can you tell I'm stalling?) so that you won't let me chicken out. Ok, here goes. *deep breath* July 2010 will be:


Work Out Before Work Month!

I know many of you are probably thinking this isn't a big deal, but it's huge for me. Think of one thing that you really hate doing (mine is waking up early). Like cleaning the toilet with a toothbrush or cutting your mother-in-laws toenails. Think of something else that you don't really like doing (mine is working out). Maybe it's mowing the lawn or doing the dishes? Combine them and picture doing it every workday for the next month. Now you know how I feel.

I know this isn't one of the original YOM ideas, but I think it's better than some of them and definitely more challenging. The good (or maybe bad, depending?) news is I will have more leeway to do actual blog posts instead of just posting recipes. I feel bad if I post more than once a day (as I'm doing right now - sorry!).

Now, as always, the rules:
  • I will work out every weekday before work for at least 30 minutes.
  • If I'm working two shifts that day, I'm exempt. I'll take a walk at lunch or something to make up for it. I need my sleep on those days.
  • There is no way in Tartarus that I am waking up early on a weekend to work out - not even for the YOM - so weekends are exempt.
  • I'm putting no restrictions on the type or intensity of the workout. I plan to start with vigorous walks with my dog and increase the intensity as time goes on.
  • This isn't mandatory, but I will make an attempt to eat more healthily. Less desserts. More vegetables, fruits and whole grains. I will try.

5 comments:

President, This sounds like a great idea, and I think I'll try to join you. Maybe that will get me in to work earlier too (so I can leave earlier) and we can motivate each other, no? :-)

 

Fantastic idea! Do you have space at either job to put in some stretches? My favorite are simple yoga poses: the tree pose and the warrior pose, in particular.

Make sure you vary up the routine. My favorite workout is 25 reps each of scissor kicks, windmills, crunches, leg push ups, hip twists, jumping jacks, and gradually increasing my stamina by jogging in place. Current time (I was on vacation) is 3 minutes. Add weights when ready for resistance and muscles!

Of course, I do this during *my* dead time, which is 4 in the afternoon when all I want is to watch my now-non-existent TV.

Blog post idea: your favorite workout tunes. I'm getting sick of my iPod playlist. :P

 

I hear ya, sister! I started the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred last week. I'm cursing under my breath throughout the entire workout.

I should ive up desserts but I just can't do it. So I'll work out more instead.

Can't wait to meet you at RWA! :)

 

Chels: sounds good. Today I got up a little too late and only got to do a 15 minute walk with the pups.

Britt: Wow, you're all into this working out thing aren't you? I hate it. I would much rather play racquetball for two hours than 'work out' for 30 minutes. It's a mental thing I think.

Karen: I ALMOST did the 30 day shred thing, but decided on the morning thing (don't know what I was thinking!)

 

Sarah if you find a place to play racquetball you can bet your butt I'll drag you there at 6 am. So. you should. The end.