Sarah's Scribbles

The Year of Months

Mac'n Cheese & Road Trip Wednesday

I'm combining two posts today, so skip to the bottom if you don't care about a very cheesy mac'n cheese recipe.

With Recipe Month winding down, I asked my sister what she wanted me to make. "Homemade Macaroni and Cheese WITHOUT Velveeta Cheese," came her almost instant reply. My mind immediately turned to Paula Deen. If she can't make a good heart-stopping Mac'n Cheese, I don't know who can.

Silly me, I didn't really notice how many eggs were in the recipe before I started making it - and I was too scared to change the recipe because bad things happen to me in the kitchen. It wouldn't really be a problem, except my sister doesn't like eggs. Let's skip right over how weird that is and talk about what I have renamed as the "Mac'n'cheese Casserole," because there are way too many eggs for it to be traditional Mac'n Cheese.

It was yummy, super rich (duh, it's from Paul Deen y'all), and JM had two servings before we even realized he had put one in a bowl. It's also very easy to make and you have plenty of leftover cheese (which never goes to waste in my house). Grating the cheese takes a little bit of time, but - call me a weirdo, I don't care - I really enjoy grating cheese. Don't ask me why, but I love it. I look forward to it.

2 cup dried elbow macaroni (4 cups cooked)
1/3 cup grated Cheddar
1/3 cup grated Swiss
1/3 cup grated Jack
1/3 cup grated Colby
1/3 cup grated Muenster
1/3 cup grated Gouda
1/2 cup sour cream
4 tablespoon butter, cut into pieces
6   eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup milk
Nonstick spray

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2) In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Season water with salt and cook macaroni until al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain pasta and place in a large bowl. While pasta is still hot, add all cheeses.

3) In a separate medium bowl, using a whisk, combine the sour cream, butter, eggs, salt, pepper and milk and add to the macaroni mixture.

4) Spray casserole dish with nonstick spray and pour macaroni mixture into the dish. Bake for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown. Top with additional cheese, if desired.

--

The lovely ladies at YA Highway do this thing called Road-Trip Wednesday where many people write a blog post based on one question or topic and they're all linky-linked together. This is the first time I'm participating!

This week's question: What's the best book you read in June?

I've read four books this month, which according to my Goodreads, is about average for me - except for March, when I read a freakish amount of books. Between A Great and Terrible Beauty, The Forest of Hands and Teeth, Incarceron, and Specials it's hard to choose, but I'm going to have to go with...

 Incarceron (Incarceron, Book 1)
It's got a darkly imaginative world that I could so easily see and feel while reading it. I know the sequel is coming out later this year so I expected the half-ending like so many in YA series these days. It's not a perfect book, and I do have my issues with it, but it was an entertaining and engaging read.

9 comments:

I want to read Incarceron so badly. It's the next book I plan to buy. (And your mac & cheese recipe looks good, too!)

 

I heard there was mac & cheese and had to saunter over. ;)

I HAVE to read this list... Thanks for making my TBR list even longer! :P teehee.

 

I've heard great things about the Forest of Hands and Teeth...and the mac'n'cheese recipe sounds yummy...and cheesy! :)

 

I read forest of hands and teeth! That book was so vivid and one of the few YA books that actually scared me! lol

Hmmm, and the recipe sounds delicious!

 

I read forest of hands and teeth! That book was so vivid and one of the few YA books that actually scared me! lol

Hmmm, and the recipe sounds delicious!

 

I read forest of hands and teeth! That book was so vivid and one of the few YA books that actually scared me! lol

Hmmm, and the recipe sounds delicious!

 

MAC AND CHEESE WAS SOOOOOO GOOD! K is crazy.

 

Incarceron sounds intriguing -- I'll have to check it out! (I did my very first RTW today, too.) ;)

 

Can't beat Mac N Cheese and a good book!
thanks for sharing, I added your pick to my list