Sarah's Scribbles

The Year of Months

Lots of Recipes!

Life has been CRAZY lately so, even though I've been making a new recipe every day, I haven't had the chance to post them. So here goes.

As I mentioned last time, I made a Caribbean Jerk Chicken. This recipe was sent to me by my Twitter friend and blog reader Meg. It's pretty tasty. Too spicy for my sister, but really, what isn't? I liked it. We had some frozen peas and corn so I threw those in there instead of broccoli. We've been eating on it this week (as you can probably tell by the picture in Tupperware on my desk.) Here's the recipe, as Meg sent it to me.

In a regular-sized crock pot, add (in this order):
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • A Lawry's or store brand (I use the Kroger store brand--it is even better.) bottle of Caribbean Jerk marinade
  • A bottle's worth of hot water (Shake around to get excess marinade from the bottle sides.)
  • A can of pineapple chunks, juice and all (Again, I go for the off brand here, as Dole comes across as a little too sweet in this recipe.)
  • Optional: if you want a veggie in this dish, I'd suggest broccoli florets (Raw will cook better than those from a freezer bag, so if you want to use the freezer bag ones, wait to add them.) but even though I love veggies, I prefer this dish without them.
Close lid and cook for about 4 hrs on high, or 6-8 hrs on low, flipping chicken breasts to other side about halfway through.
 
Then, when chicken is completely cooked, (It is usually falling apart by now. If you like firmer chicken that stays in an intact piece, you can experiment with shorter cooking times.) switch to high if you've been cooking on low, or leave on high if you've been cooking on high, and add:
 
  • Your broccoli florets if you are using the ones from the freezer.
  • A cup of rice. (We like long grain white rice for this dish.) ...just about any sort will work, as long as it isn't minute rice.
Use a spoon to push the broccoli and rice below the surface of the liquid, so you don't have some bits that are completely cooked and some that are still raw.
 
Cook for about 30-60 min on high, checking periodically to see if the rice is done. (You may need to stir a time or two.)
 
Makes 4 generous servings. (We usually eat this by itself, as a one-pot meal.)
 
Freezes VERY well, and reheats in the microwave... sometimes with even better results.
 
Warning: can have a little kick to it. 
 
--
On Tuesday I was very busy. No, I mean it. This is what the first part of the week was like for me:
- I worked Monday 830am - 5pm
- Made these brownbag burritos.
- Slept for four-ish hours
- Worked at Gaylord from 11pm to 7 am
- Made the vanilla shake, below
- Worked at Rotech 830am -5pm Tuesday
- Worked at Gaylord from 6pm to 11pm Tuesday
- Passed the heck out.
- (I won't continue to work like this. I'm working to pay for an awesome Writer's Conference)
 
I needed two quick recipes for Monday and Tuesday and this one fit the bill. These burritos (they're vegitarian btw!) are VERY quick and easy and yummy. It says it's 8 servings, but if you want to make a meal out of them you're going to have to make bigger ones - so I made four larger burritos. I also added sour cream.

1 15 oz can black beans
1 cup salsa
1 tbs ground cumin
1 tbs chili powder
8 flour tortillas
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
 
1) Rinse beans in cold water, drain well. 
2) Combine beans, salsa, cumin and chili powder in large pan. Cook over medium-high heat for about ten minutes, mashing beans slightly with back of wooden spoon. Stir occasionally, adding a little water if mixture looks too dry. 
3) Spoon bean mixture into tortillas. Top with cheese (and sour cream!). Fold each tortilla into an envelope shape, ensuring both ends are tucked in. Eat warm or wrap in plastic to take for lunch. 
 
 
--
As you can see from my timeline above, I had so little time on Tuesday that I went for the easiest recipe I could find: A vanilla shake. I know what you're going to say, but if you work for 24 hours straight, you can have a milkshake for breakfast too. I think it's a law or something.

I don't think I really have to tell you that this was good because you can probably see that from the ingredient list. If you're not such a big fan of vanilla taste, you might want to cut down on the vanilla extract though. Also, I don't have a picture for this one. You know what a milkshake looks like. And if you don't, you have bigger problems.

1 cup vanilla ice cream
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1) In a blender, combine ingredients. Blend until smooth. Pour into glass and serve.

See- I told you it was easy!

--

On Wednesday I made yet another recipe from Pillsbury's Fast and Healthy Cookbook my coworker Jen shared with me: Weeknight Pork and Vegetable Stew. 

This was another incredibly easy recipe. In fact, I was finishing up The Forest of Hands and Teeth (don't read it if you don't like zombies) so I was only half paying attention and it still turned out good. It's a nice, light healthy dinner - more like what I should be making every day.

Total: 30 mins
 4 servings (1 ¼ c each)

1 teaspoon canola oil
¾ lb pork tenderloin, cut into 1 inch cubes
½ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 cup frozen small whole onions
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves, crushed
½ teaspoon chopped garlic in water
1 lb frozen broccoli, carrots and cauliflower
1 jar pork gravy

1) In 3-qt pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add pork; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until pork is browned.

2) Stir in remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender and pork is no longer pink in center

230 calories, 7g fat, 16g carbs


Up next: I was going to make bruschetta for my writer's group, but that got canceled, so I don't know yet.

0 comments: