Sarah's Scribbles

The Year of Months

Crunchy Trail Mix Bars

Yesterday was another busy day for me (Yay for my return to the Celebration Writers Group after over a month hiatus!) so I made another quick and easy recipe. You can make this over the weekend and snack on it all week.

I've been snacking on it today while at work and it's pretty tasty. It's very sweet and satisfying. It's also one of those recipes that you could really play with and add all kinds of tasty things. I, as a hiker, am a big fan of GORP, so I didn't get too fancy with it.

Oh, and where it says "toss to coat" .... don't try that. Doesn't work and it'll just make a mess. Fold it gently like you would with rice krispie treats.

This is another recipe from Pillsbury’s Fast and Healthy Cookbook, shared by my coworker Jen.

4 c Cheerios cereal
3 c trail mix (seeds, nuts and dried fruit)
¼ c butter or margarine
1 c packed brown sugar
2 tbs all-purpose flour
½ c light corn syrup

1) Grease 13x9 inch pan with shortening, or spray with cooking spray. In large bowl, mix cereal and trail mix; set aside

2) In 2-qt pan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar, flour and corn syrup. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a full boil. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.

3) Pour mixture evenly over cereal mixture; toss to coat. Press mixture in pan. Cool 10 minutes. For bars, cut into 6 rows by 6 rows

130 calories, 5g fat, 18g carbs. Makes 36 bars


Next Up: A Pizza Quiche. And maybe a bonus recipe if I get really motivated.

0 comments: