Sarah's Scribbles

The Year of Months

Cookies and Amish Breakfast Casserole

I was going to make bruschetta yesterday for my writer's group, but that got canceled. I sent my sister a text:

Me: Should I make bruschetta or cookies tonight?
K: Cooookkkiiieessss!

Yesterday's Peanut Butter M&Ms Cookie recipe was sent to me by Twitter friend and blog reader Laura W. This is what she said about the recipe:

I haven't actually had a chance to try these yet, but I hope to someday. This recipe was found on another blogger's site, who actually found it from another blogger. (Link to Recipe on Annie's Eats: http://annieseats.blogspot.com/2007/08/peanut-butter-m-cookies.html)

Well, Laura, now you know you have to try it because they were delicious. No kidding. My sister got one and went in to the living room to eat it. I walked in just as she finished and she said, "I want another one!" in the most desperate kind of voice. It was hilarious. Also, my coworkers gobbled them up today.

This recipe makes a fairly large batch of cookies, so you may want to share them (or not!) :-)

1 Cup Butter, Softened
1 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Light Brown Sugar
1 Cup Reduced-Fat Creamy Peanut Butter
2 Tablespoons Milk
2 Eggs
2 2/3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1 lb. Milk Chocolate M&M's

1. Combine butter, sugar, brown sugar, peanut butter and milk in a large bowl. Beat until well blended. Beat in eggs. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add gradually on low speed. Gently stir in the M&Ms.

2. Preheat the oven to 375° F. Shape the dough into 1 ¼” balls and place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes, checking frequently to avoid over-baking. Allow to cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring to a cooling rack and cooling completely.

--

Today, I made another breakfast for my coworkers. I was going to make a pumpkin casserole, but apparently Publix no longer carries pumpkin puree year round. So I had this other recipe in my purse and decided to go with that.

My coworkers loved the Amish Breakfast Casserole so much they ate the leftovers for lunch. I normally don't like to put potatoes in breakfast things (I like them on the side, though), but this worked well together. Plus it gives you some lasting fullness. EDIT: I forgot to say this: The recipe said you could substitute sausage for bacon, so I did!

It was good but I just want to say something about the supposed "total time:" 50 minutes, my butt. I'd say give yourself about 90 minutes to make this without being rushed. You can do other stuff during the 35 minute baking time though. Oh, and it's A LOT so make sure you have a big mixing bowl.


1 pound sliced bacon, diced
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
6 eggs, lightly beaten
4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups small curd cottage cheese
1 1/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese

1) In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion until bacon is crisp; drain. In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; stir in bacon mixture. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish.

2) Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until set and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting

4 comments:

Glad you liked 'em! Now I just gotta figure out when I can make them. We've got too many baked goods in the house right at the moment because of my dad's birthday.

Laura W.

 

Okay, I definitely need to try out those cookies. They sound awesome! Also, my friends have a recipe blog: A Recipe for Living. There's tons of great stuff on there, if you ever want to try any of it out.

 

Laura: They are yummy! You need to find a reason to make them:

Kelley: Thanks for the link!

Elana: HAHAHAHA. figures :-)