Sarah's Scribbles

The Year of Months

Bonus: Stuffed Celery Bites

My SFF writers group (yes, I have two. I used to have three.) met at my apartment complex yesterday for the first time. Usually, we meet at Panera but we have a swank business center with a conference room and I decided to try it out (people liked it, btw). I wanted to make a little something for them, so I made my second recipe for June 3rd.

It was insanely easy to make and it was OK. I'd recommend this if you have sudden company and just happen to have a tub of cream cheese and a bag of celery around the house. If you have more time or more ingredients available, see if there's something better you can make first.

Don't get me wrong, they weren't bad. They were just OK... but they are pretty - which we all know is the most important thing for an appetizer. Taste is second :-) (BTW the picture was taken with my cell phone, which sometimes makes pictures yellowish.)

This recipe for Stuffed Celery Bites is also from recipe.com. I didn't get pine nuts when I was at the store so I skipped that whole part. I think you can get pretty creative with the 'garnish' part of this recipe.

2 tablespoons pine nuts
1 clove garlic, minced
8 stalks celery
1 8-ounce tub cream cheese with dried tomato or cream cheese
1/4 cup shredded Italian cheese blend (1 ounce)
2 tablespoons dry-roasted shelled sunflower seeds
Celery leaves (optional)

1. Lightly coat a skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Add pine nuts and garlic. Cook over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes or until nuts are golden brown, stirring frequently. Set aside.

2. Remove tops and wide base from celery. Using a vegetable peeler, remove two thin strips from the rounded side of the celery, creating a flat surface.

3. In a small bowl combine the cream cheese and shredded Italian cheese. Spread or spoon cheese mixture into celery.

4. Cut each filled stalk of celery into 2-inch pices. Sprinkle half the pieces with the pine nut mixture and half with the sunflower seeds. Top with celery leaves, if desired. Makes about 32 pieces (8 servings).

0 comments: