Sarah's Scribbles

The Year of Months

The Year of Months

Recently, people have been asking me what exactly this Year of Months thing I've been talking about is, so I am writing this post so I can refer people to it in the future. I'll probably update it as each month's theme is decided, but this was originally posted on January 5, 2010.

The Year of Months began in November 2009, though the idea itself hadn't been born yet. I participated in National Novel Writing Month for the second year and finished the first draft of Miranda's Fire. After November, I decided I wanted to do National Blog Posting Month after hearing about it from my friend Angela, so I ended up writing a blog post every day in December 2009.

Halfway through December, the idea of The Year Of Months started to form in my head. I think most people (myself included) want to expand their horizons, but don't have the discipline to do it without setting concrete goals. I realized that a month was a good amount of time to stick to something new; it's long enough to provide you with an experience but short enough in case you end up hating it.

I came up with about fifteen ideas intended to provide me with new knowledge or perspective to fill out the last 10 months of my Year of Months and let my blog readers vote on which I would do. Other than January (Non-Fiction Month - read an hour of NF every day), I haven't decided which month is which yet, planning on deciding along the way. Here are the themes you can expect to see over the next 10 months:

  • Photo Month - take at least one picture every day April 2010 
  • Recipe Month - try a new recipe every day June 2010
  • Bike Month - bike everywhere within 7 miles of my house March 2010
  • Shop Locally Month - includes groceries and restaurants
  • Post-card Month - send a postcard to someone every day May 2010
  • Craft Month - work on any kind of craft every day
  • Walk Month - take at least a 30 minute walk every day February 2010
  • Conversation Month - start a conversation with a stranger every day
  • Vegetarian Month - self explanatory, right?
To see other posts about this, go here.

My friend Paool mentioned possibly doing a Year of Months of his own. If you feel so inclined, I encourage you to do it! I'm really excited about the 10 months ahead of me. If you decide to do it (or even just a month), and blog about it, let me know so I can link your blog from here!

4 comments:

I must warn you: a month of months is hard enough for me, but I am willing to try a year of months for the displinary benefits. If you don't create a community list of activities, I guess I can come up with my own: a month of ignoring the kitchen and so forth. I feel a blog post coming on...

Nice new template!

 

A community list of activities? Would you like me to do that? I wonder if there would be enough interest to create a Ning network for it...

 

Ning is a good idea. Or a forum PR blitz on related Ning sites? I'll help by bring my three readers...

 

I've gotta be honest, ever since you mentioned the Year of Months at NYE, I've been totally loving the idea. I'm thinking about starting my own come February. I'm trying to be creative and come up with my own monthly things, but your list was pretty good. It's a very unique and cool thing. :)

By the way, I'm Ryan's friend, Kelley.