Sarah's Scribbles

The Year of Months

A Year of Months?

As you all know, I'm doing National Blog Posting Month this month and I did National Novel Writing Month last month. Yesterday and today I've been letting an idea marinate in my head: What if I did a different self-imposed challenge every month for a year?

Why would I want to do this? Well.... why not? Each of my ideas so far serve to broaden my horizons and give me a different perspective. Given my current financial situation, I'm only planning on doing things that don't cost more money (i.e. I can't do skydiving cuz it's expensive!); this is subject to change depending on economic shifts. You could argue that I am busy enough, and you might be right. But if the Mayans are right and the world really is going to end in 2012, I don't have much time left to try everything!

Here are some of the ideas I have:
  • Vegetarian Month: no meat (not even fish) for a month. I really have no reason to do this and I love bacon, but I want to try. And I'm not going to just eat bread and cheese (though I'm tempted), I'm going to do it right.
  • Walk Month: Take a 30 minute minimum walk every day - like a real walk, no treadmills allowed. “Few people know how to take a walk. The qualifications are endurance, plain clothes, old shoes, an eye for nature, good humor, vast curiosity, good speech, good silence and nothing too much.” ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Non-Fiction Month: Read at least one hour of non-fiction every day.
  • Recipe Month: Try a different recipe every day. YUM!
  • Month without TV: This may sound horrible to some and weak to others, but I really do enjoy my USA, TNT and Syfy (though I hate the new spelling, if you can call it that). And think of all the things I could do without the boob tube distracting me! 
So those five, added to the one I've done and the one I'm working on, equals seven. That means I still need five more *awesome* ideas to fill out a year. This is where YOU come in, dear readers! Please suggest month themes in the comments.

Also, what do you think of this idea? Do you think I'm silly? Anybody want to do it with me?

5 comments:

Exploration Month. What you may often find is the lack of awareness of the interesting things around one's town, city, state, etc.

Low on cash? What about looking for the best bang-for-your-buck deals. Food, clothes, whatever. This could probably go hand in hand with exploration Month.

Careful with the vegan thing - you could totally screw up your metabolism if you do certain things too abruptly. This goes for starting and readjusting as a meatetarian (heh).

 

No no no, not vegan. I'm not crazy. I would just eat twinkies all day.

 

Sketch or draw something each day for a month.

Also, I actually decided to sign this comment.

 

Walking is a good one.

What about cooking on a budget. See if you can make a good meal, cheaper every day. Or set a dollar amount per servings, like less than $2. Post the meals!

 

Thanks for your suggestions! I'm still looking for more.

One of my friends on facebook suggested geocache. It's a possibility, but only if I can afford a hand held GPS. Right now, I really can't.

I don't know about the drawing month. I have never been any good at drawing anything and it frustrates me more than anything... but that could be a reason to try it.

Some other ideas I've come up with:
Conversation Month: Strike up a REAL conversation with a different person every day. Doesn't necessary have to be a person I've never met, just a person I haven't had a conversation with. "Hey" "Hi" "This rain sucks" "Yep" doesn't count.
Documentary Month: Watch a different documentary (2 hours each day for longer ones) each day.
Craft Month: Do some sort of crafty activity each day, whether it be sewing, scrap-booking or Indian bead looming.

Keep the ideas coming!