Sarah's Scribbles

The Year of Months

Things I Don't Like: Laziness

Occasionally, people tell me that they are impressed by how much I do, but - to be completely honest - I don't do that much. Not compared to what I could accomplish if I was really motivated. How many hours do I waste playing games on Facebook and watching TV?

Often, I feel like most people don't do enough. They are satisfied doing what it takes to survive, to maintain their lifestyle, but never truly go above and beyond. This is what makes me angry: people who say they can't do something because they are 'too busy' when what they really mean is they are 'too lazy.' If all you do is work enough to pay the bills (unless you have to work 16 hours a day, 7 days a week to pay the bills, in which case you have other problems), you're lazy. I'm sorry, but that's the truth and I'm not going to be one of those coddling people who make a great deal out of your mediocrity.



Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I'm anything great, but the difference is I'm trying. I volunteer several hours every week to the Foundation, trying to support young female engineering students. I always have at least one Pen Pal through AdoptaPlatoon (yay! just got a new one because my last one went home). I volunteer when I can for the American Cancer Society and the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I am working on writing and editing two novels, in the hopes of getting published one day. For fun I like to hike, learn and play volleyball. That's all on top of working (or applying for jobs, depending on the time of year), taking care of my dog, keeping my house clean and keeping up with all of my other responsibilities.

If you're one of those people who works your eight hours, goes home and watches TV or cruises the internet until you fall asleep every day, I have questions for you: Do you feel satisfied with your life? Are you fulfilled? I mean it, look deep down inside yourself for the answer.

My guess is it's no.

Go out and do something. I don't care if it's altruistic as long as it's something. Get a hobby. Attend a Meetup. Go for a walk on a path you've never traveled. Volunteer for a cause you care about. Learn how to make cheese. Take your dog to a dog park. Join a local sports league. Do something to enrich your children's lives.

Do something. Do anything.

2 comments:

I am adding this to my bookmarks. Very motivating with practical applications :).