Sarah's Scribbles

The Year of Months

Help Me Understand: Fake Dumb People

Lately I've been noticing a few people I know (in real life) who - though I know them to be rather intelligent - have this online persona that suggests an IQ smaller than their shoe size.

I've always been aware of people (especially girls) acting dumber than they are, especially when talking to boys. I'm told that they are afraid boys will be intimidated if they knew how smart the girl was. Personally, if a boy is intimidated by my intelligence, I would simply rather not talk to them - but I guess that's just me.

However, these people have taken this to a new level. They aren't pretending to be of average intelligence, but acting like they are stupid. There is no other way to say it. I'm pretty sure my dog could put together more intelligent sentences than what they post on Facebook. Why do they insist on misspelling EVERY SINGLE WORD? Are they afraid if they act like they've seen the inside of an English classroom, someone might think they aren't cool?

No, really. Explain it to me, because I don't understand.

0 comments: