Sarah's Scribbles

The Year of Months

Some of My Favorite Books

For today's geek out, I thought I'd list some of my favorite sci-fi and fantasy books.

Ender's Game (Ender, Book 1)
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card is one of my personal favorites. Ask any fan of sci-fi literature and they will tell you the same.


Foundation (Foundation Novels)
The Foundation Series by Isaac Asimov is also pretty amazing, though I am relatively alone in saying that Prelude to Foundation was one of my favorites. It is different from the rest of the books in that it is a non-stop adventure, but many die-hard fans of the series don't care for it.


I, Robot (The Robot)
Sticking with Asimov, I absolutely adore I, Robot. If you saw the movie, it's really nothing like it. The book is a collection of stories that chronicle the fictional development of robotics. One of the few sci-fi books that has ever made me laugh out loud while reading.


The Hunger GamesCatching Fire (The Second Book of the Hunger Games)
The Hunger Games and Catching Fire are remarkable pieces of postapocolyptic YA fiction. I read The Hunger Games in one sitting and Catching Fire, unlike so many other highly anticipated sequels, might have been even better than the first. I cannot wait to read the third book.

Heartlight (Kate Gordon)
While it's probably not the best fantasy book out there, Heartlight by T. A. Barron was my first (that I remember, anyway). It's the first time I realized that people could write stories about stuff that wasn't real. This book is probably the main reason I became such a Speculative Fiction nut - that and my mom watching TNG and Sliders all the time after school.  It's funny how it is always compared to A Wrinkle In Time, because I really didn't enjoy that book too much.

So what are some of your favorite Speculative Fiction books? I'm looking for some recommendations!

3 comments:

Speculative Fiction for me will always be Ray Bradbury. Between his books and Steven King, I was reading at a much higher level than most of my friends in middle school. One of my sisters got a whole Bradbury library from a boyfriend, the other collected King. All the books got handed down to me.

I really can't pick just one of his stories. They are so ingrained in our culture now, that I bet you know the story without having to have read the original.

But that being said here are my favorites
Something Wicked This Way Comes,
The Halloween Tree
Dark They Were, and Golden-Eyed
The Veldt
The Pedestrian
Fahrenheit 451

 

Have you ever read Swan Song?

 

Thanks for the recommendations Mari!

Joline: No, I haven't. I'll add it to my (long) list!