Sarah's Scribbles

The Year of Months

Something to Write About

March 31, 2009

Well, I 'started' this blog two days ago, unsure about whether or not I would actually write in it.  It seemed that I didn't really have anything worth writing about - at least nothing that I wanted people to know about!  Today, that sad fact changed.

On the way home from work today, we stopped at the grocery store to get pork for dinner tonight.  In the atrium, two Girl Scouts and a mom were selling Girl Scout cookies.  For those of you who know me, you know I'm trying to lose all the weight I gained when I had Mono, so I didn't want any for myself - despite how much I love them.  I have recently adopted a new soldier (my last one made it home safely!) through Adopt-A-Platoon and I figured our boys in Iraq might appreciate some of the yummy classic American goodness.

After picking out three boxes for my solider, I paid the girl.  My aunt made a comment about me not being able to eat them so I explained to the Girl Scouts what I was buying them for.  After hearing this the mom said, "In that case, go ahead and take another box on us."  I said, "Are you sure?"  The lady insisted so I picked out a fourth box.  So now I have four boxes of Girl Scout cookies to send to Samuel this week!  I hope he'll share with his fellow soldiers.  :-)

This may seem like no big deal, but to me it was very uplifting and inspiring.  Thanks to the current economy, people are getting both more stingy and more cranky.  People are doing less and less to help others out because they are worried about their own well-being.  In darkness like this, even the smallest light shines brightly and illuminates treasures you thought were lost forever.


"Every action in our lives touches on some chord that will vibrate in eternity."
~Edwin Hubbel Chapin

Something else that is worth writing about!  Since being laid off from AB (due to a restructuring after the InBev buyout) I have decided to move to Orlando in May and have been looking for a job there.  I check the major career websites nearly every day looking for the rare combination of a place I want to work at with a job that I want to do.  Most of you know I have a passion for non-profits and for event planning.  Well, today the Muscular Dystrophy Association posted an opening for Event Coordinator!  I said on my Twitter that this is my dream job, and I am going to try as hard as I can to get it!  The only way a job could be better is if they let me write too!

0 comments: