Sarah's Scribbles

The Year of Months

Job Hunt and Writers Groups

July 1, 2009

I have an interview today at 3pm.  It's a part time position and doesn't pay very much, but it involves helping out with events at the beautiful Gaylord Palms. 

So yes, I'm having trouble finding a job right now.  All job postings that I see I'm either way over or under qualified for.  All the engineering jobs want at least 10 years experience in a certain field that I haven't touched before.  I feel like I'm not getting call backs on other jobs because they feel that I'm overqualified for them and won't be happy in them.  I can't say that I will or I won't but I'm relatively sure that I'd be happy in a job related to hospitality, event planning, or non-profit - but I don't get the chance to prove it.

So, I keep trying.  Nothing else I can do, I suppose.  Except maybe networking.  I've been more or less a recluse since we moved here.  I'm hoping that will start to change tonight as well:

Tonight, I'm attending the Florida Writer's Association's local group at 7pm.  It looks to be mainly business-related as the organizer is stepping down and they're looking at changing how it operates, but it will be a chance for me to talk to other writers in the area.  Right now, I'm only in contact with other writers on Twitter.  Don't get me wrong, that's great and all, but there's nothing like a face to face conversation to get me motivated.

Also, I've formed my own meetup group for Speculative Fiction (Sci-fi or Fantasy) writers in Orlando.  We have our first meeting this coming Monday to determine the goals and structure of the group.  I decided to do this for two main reasons: 

(1) All of the so-called Orlando writers groups don't actually meet in Orlando.  They meet in Winter Park or Sanford, and that's kind of obnoxious.  Why don't you call your group the Sanford Writers' group??
(2) None of the existing groups are genre specific.  And let's face it: Non spec fic writers really look down on spec fic writers, even still.  Some of the best selling books right now are Fantasy, but we're still treated like the red-headed step child of the writing community.  Why bother taking advice from people who have zero respect for your genre?

I haven't written much lately.  I find it's hard for me to discipline myself when my schedule is so wide-open.  It sounds counter-intuitive, but when I have all the free time in the world, I get less done than when I'm working 60 hours a week.

So that's basically what's going on with me right now.  Oh, that and I'm talking to a Coast Guard recruiter about going into the Coast Guard through their Direct Commissioning program for Engineers.  I'll keep you updated :-)

0 comments: